This page is dedicated to linking up the articles through the blog that relate to becoming an IT manager. Hopefully they support and evoke on your journey.
Please note this page expands as new articles are posted and I can keep you up to date on changes if you like by supplying your preferred email below.
- Formal qualifications
- Academic approach
- Programming for an IT Manager
- Security for an IT Manager
[read more=”Read more” less=”Read less”]
Whilst this site offers no formal qualifications it does provide the basics that can support studies in formal courses such as
These articles are focused on the indirect skills learnt by attending university courses.
- Critical thinking and the joy of counterpoint
- Academic papers and how to start them
- Job applications and your image
This section focuses on articles that discuss the physical insides of the computer’s box.
- Computers 101
- Are you a CISC or RISC type person?
- Virtualization timeshares your machine
- Technology Stacks and what they do for your business
Programming for an IT Manager
Language independent discussions rather language specific issues / solutions. Stack Overflow takes care of programming specific questions. 🙂
Whilst IT managers must understand programming not every problem needs you to be a coder.
Databases and Data Warehousing
Database save so much time and remove so much programming hassle. I’m a big fan.
- What is a database?
- Best Next Action predicting the future
- Data warehouse technology including big, bad and dark data
- Person-centric design, what is it?
For all things HTML related.
- Getting an online presence up and running quickly.
- Tags, the electronic kind
- Cookies the ones you can’t eat and browsers love
For helping people to interact with your solutions
For all levels of inter device communication discussions
Security for an IT Manager
Security overlaps on every area. These articles focus from the security aspect first.
- Data security what could possibly go wrong
- Breaches and I do not mean the whale kind
- PCI DSS and payments in your contact centre
- Cipher suites and their ciphers keep data secure or do they
Skills in being a manager as opposed to just being an employee.
- Management are you ready for it?
- Metric, not another one please
- Outsourcing 101
- HR what is it to your business
- Optimisation of business processes
- Mass delivered yet individualised training plans
- Gamification is the best way to increase productivity
- Follow the Moon scenarios for modern business
- Work distribution for thinking managers
Management skills and ideas specific to CTOs, CIOs and IT management in general.
- Which Quality Assurance approach do you use?
- What is quality and how do you define it?
- Wooden dollars and internal billing